Monday, May 19, 2008

My Grandpa Valente



Hello friends and family. I write tonight broken and confused. I have sad news to share this evening, as my Grandpa Manuel Valente (Mom's Dad) has passed away. We received a call from the nursing home about 5:30 this evening saying his blood pressure was very low and asked if we wanted him transported to the hospital. We said yes and met them there.

Upon arriving, my mom found him not coherant and the doctors said it did not look good. They were doing a chest x-ray when I got there. Mom met me out in the waiting room, and then went back in to check on grandpa and said she'd be back in a few minutes. I started making some phone calls to family and then received a call about five minutes later from my mom, telling me grandpa had died. It all happened so fast, it is crazy. My mom said grandpa was not conscience when she went in there, but she put her hand on his head and told him it was okay. It was then that his heart rate just went down fast, and he was gone in a matter of moments. I got the staff to get me back there immediately and found my mom in the room with my grandpa and the doctor. The doctor was an amazing comfort to my mom until I got in the room. When I arrived he left us alone and told us he was there if we needed him.

I stood and hugged my mom for a few moments. A friend, and former pastor, was there with us and helped us get through those first few moments. He started making the appropriate calls to the mortuary and such. Mom and I then stepped outside to get some air. We were told we would need to wait for the coroner before leaving the hospital as they would need to take a report. We met with them briefly and were able to leave shortly. We then went to the care home, collected his belongings and went home to my mom's house. We are here now processing what has happened and realing in the reality that he is gone. No matter how long we have been preparing for this day, nothing can really prepare you for the moment it happens. You just have to rest in God's arms and allow Him to carry you.

It is amazing how awesome God is. Friends, my brother was here from Michigan visiting this weekend. He flew back to Michigan this morning. Last night my mom, brother, myself and my husband all went together to visit grandpa. He was coherant and we had a conversation with him. My brother and I both hugged grandpa. I looked directly in his eyes and told him twice how much I loved him. This would be the last time I saw my grandpa alive. I praise my God for allowing my family to be together one last time with grandpa. I praise Him that I was able to say goodbye to my grandpa like that and let him know how much I loved him. I praise God for allowing my grandpa to see his family together and know that his daughter would be taken care of. I truly believe that my grandpa knew he could let go after seeing everyone together again. I think God showed him peace that we would be okay.

Though death is not easy, and this is a very hard loss for my mom and family, I will praise my God for remaining faithful. I will praise my God for sustaining me. He will be my fortress and strength. We will be okay, with God's help.

Thank you friends and family for all you have done. For all of you have been there to pray, offer encouraging words and hold my hand, I thank you. I praise God for you.

I am going to try to get some sleep, if I can. I will keep you updated on the happenings.

Love you All.

7 comments:

Denae said...

Diane, I am sooo sorry for your loss. I can understand at this time things are just so hard, and I know its going to be hard to concentrate on things. Im here if you need to talk. You all are in my prayers. Just imagine what he sees right now!! Hes pain free, happy, with everyone who made it to Heaven before him, talking with God, prepairing you and your familys place in heaven for when its ya'll turn. I love you girl, and know that soon everyone will have peace in their hearts.

Momma Bug said...

Thinking of and praying for you Diane.

Love you,
Analene

Sarah said...

We're here for you Di. We love you!

mjregi said...

Diane praying for you and here if you need to talk/whatever....
Daddy Reg

Mommy Reg said...

You know I love you and am here for you and your family day or night. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Uncle and Auntie Hightower <>< said...

Love you Love.
I am proud of you and your words. I am so proud of you praising our Lord and King in the dark times. In the hard times, just as we do in the joyful ones...
Prise the Lord for your heart and faith. You are a light in times like these... God has been giving you lots of chances to be salt and light lately...I love you and I am so proud of you. ALl my love D!

The Diane Story said...

Thank you ALL for your kind words, thoughts, prayers and encouragements. They are all felt and appreciated.

Love each and every one of you.

Diane