Sunday, July 20, 2008

How Time Changes My Thoughts

So tonight my mom bought me a sewing machine. My first sewing machine. I was SO excited. She bought me some fabric to practice with and some sewing necessaties. I was thanking her so much and then she said "I was just never sure my daughter was ever going to want to sew." And that reminded me of conversations we'd had some years ago and me telling my mom that I just didn't think sewing was going to have much of a place anymore. I just didn't see myself really at a place in life of sewing projects and clothes and things.

Then I grew up. And I met some friends who sewed. I became close with one friend in particular who has taught me so much and encouraged me in more aspects of life than I can even begin to thank her for. She's taught me to cook, bake, a little basics of sewing, and more. Her sewing projects encouraged me to want to learn. And I've been talking with my mom about it. My mom quietly listened and then this week informed me she was buying me a sewing machine. So I have my new machine and practiced making some stuff tonight. Well, I didn't really make anything, unless you consider a very thin ice pack cover a successful project. Actually, if I had made it out of thicker material I would have been pretty successful at it. Anyway, after that I just sewed some material together and practiced stitches and stuff. Also practiced making pockets on it too. So it was fun. My back was killing me from the way I sitting by the end of the night, but it was fun. I can't wait to do more.

Momma Reg...Mom got me a carrying case for my machine and it makes it very portable. So, I am coming over with my machine and we are having sewing nights. You've got to teach more more stuff! I am so excited.

Thank you mom for your precious gift. You know you are too good to me. I am so grateful for you in my life. I love you so much and could never ask for a better mother than you. I love you mom.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

So sweet! And, very exciting that you got a new sewing machine. You'll have to post pictures of the things you sew!

Mommy Reg said...

I can't wait to teach you more stuff!!!

Uncle and Auntie Hightower <>< said...

Awwwwwww. That is sooo cool!!! I can not wait to see what you come up with!!! You are sooo creative and never give up...I know your going to learn so fast..lol Reading your blog reminded me of, well...ME! lol I NEVER would have thought a few years ago that I would want one...or want TO either... but these days, I want to learn too...and maybe eventually get one as well... I know I want one when we have a family...(for those blumers remember...lol) but for now, I figure we just have No room for one...so I will learn what I can and keep getting INTO the thought of MEEEE doing such things!!! =) Analene would probably be shocked I want one ever...lol Maybe? I don't know what she would say actually...My GUESS though is that she does not see me as the sewing type. (as I Too, never have.) Any way...I am so excited for you!!! And Mommy Reg...HOW SWEET YOU ARE!!!! Keep up the Great work of inspiration! Us girls that are behind in such things NEED ladies like you...lol...what a thoghtful gift. I know Diane will use it a lot...I just know she is going to be really good at it already!